Habibi

Habibi - Craig Thompson Stunning. Disturbing. Heartbreaking. Hopeful. Those are just a few of the words I would use to describe this novel. I have read a few of Thompson's graphic novels and was very excited to hear about Habibi. The illustrations are top notch and I loved all the symbols and calligraphy scattered throughout. Along with the story of Dodola and Zam (escaped child slaves who grow up together on their own in the desert), we get beautifully rendered parallel stories from Christianity/Bible and Islam/Koran. Thompson has really outdone himself with this work of art and it will be hard to top it. Saying that, the novel is strewn with the sterotypical ideas about orientalism, harems, and such. Also the inordinate amount of nude females with only the giant hairy guts of a few ugly old men for the ladies to see. I am not agaist nudity but, gimme a break, some equality would be nice ;P.

A warning though: The material in this novel can be quite disturbing and deals with rape, child marriage, prostitution, castration, starvation, violence, death, and a lot of female nudity. R rated for sure.